Monday 20 June 2011

Another geekery: Pacman rubber stamps



Keeping the geek mood of my last post, I took decision to carry on my personal rediscovery of 1980s' video game art. Differently to modern video games, focused on an excessive realism and a simple digital imitation of real life, those games were an effort of complete abstraction based upon a little goal but well defined: this was the case of Pacman, a yellow ball with a mouth whose the only goal of its life was to eat little things (stones? coins? simply dots? boh) dispersed in a labyrinth while escaping from colorful but dangerous phantoms... simply genial! Nothing to do with modern video games technology that has completely lost the boundaries between reality and fiction to such an extend that, for instance, we find ourselves playing tennis with an imaginary racket in our hands or to see our digital alter-ego making hula-hop in the screen in front of us while, in reality, we are moving as a crazy one on a plastic platform... you can ask me nostalgic, but I think that 1980s games are a completely different story in respect of modern ones for their imagination and their degree of abstraction that render them timeless...


And to show this geek attitude, I hand carved a set of Pacman rubber stamps, that you can find on my etsy shop for only few days, before I will be back in Italy for my summer holidays! I hope you like this new retro-geek production...




4 commenti:

ashley moe on 21 June 2011 at 06:16 said...

aww, what cute pacmans! I love all of your work.

Eleni on 21 June 2011 at 12:37 said...

Pacman is an absolute classic! My boyfriend plays it on his phone...constantly...

Chantal on 22 June 2011 at 04:07 said...

Awesome stamps! Perfect!

Anonymous said...

bellissimi! Oggi ho finalmente usato il tuo tutorial - comprato su etsy un pò di tempo fa - e ho scoperto che AMO fare gli stampini!! Ho provato sia gomma che linoleum, e preferisco di gran lunga la gomma, come consigli anche tu...grazie ancora per il tutorial :-) prevedo un'estate di stampini. valeria

Blog Widget by LinkWithin